Inland Empire News
8 killed, others injured in SB racing accident
LUCERNE VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- At least eight people were killed and others were injured in a desert off-road race in rural San Bernardino County, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's department.
A vehicle plowed into a crowd just before 8 p.m., authorities said.
San Bernardino County fire sent seven ambulances and 10 air ships to the scene of the accident at the California 200 race in Lucerne Valley.
Authorities said a dozen people were airlifted to hospitals in the area, one possibly being Desert Valley Hospital in Victorville.
According to published reports, winesses saw a pickup hit people who were sitting on rocks.
The California Highway Patrol has taken the lead and has sent its Major Accident Investigation Team in.
According to the Mojave Desert Racing website, the California 200 was to take place Saturdayat 7:30 p.m. off Bessemer Mine Road at Soggy Dry Lake.
Amateur video on the internet of last year's race shows off-road vehicles performing stunts close to spectators with only plastic netting between them.
san bernardino county, inland empire news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report