Los Angeles News
L.A. County launches anti-smoking campaign
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius joined Los Angeles County officials Wednesday to announce the start of a comprehensive anti-smoking campaign.
It will include several policy-based initiatives and social services, as well as a high-profile and highly targeted media campaign to support a broad range of tobacco control efforts in order to raise awareness of free and low-cost resources that would help smokers quit.
Officials said these tactics will aim to reduce secondhand smoke exposure, discourage tobacco use, strengthen youth smoking prevention efforts, and increase access to and utilization of effective tobacco cessation services.
The campaign will be funded by a federal stimulus grant from the Department of Health and Human Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
L.A. County is one of 44 communities across the nation to receive funding from the highly competitive initiative and is the largest grant recipient, receiving $16.2 million for tobacco prevention and $15.9 million for obesity prevention, for a total of $32.1 million.
While the overall smoking rate for L.A. County, at 14.3 percent, is substantially lower than the national average, there are still more than one million adults and adolescents in the county who still smoke, officials said.
Residents who are currently addicted to tobacco, have already quit or want to help a friend or relative get rid of the addiction can call 1-800-NO-BUTTS. The free and confidential telephone counseling service has proven to double a smoker's chances of successfully quitting. The service also assists those trying to quit chewing tobacco and has experts to help teens quit.
health, centers for disease control and prevention, los angeles news
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke