Inland Empire News
Second arrest made in Apple Valley cold case
APPLE VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A Georgia woman faces extradition back to Southern California after being arrested on murder charges in a nearly 22-year-old cold case.
Opal LeAnne Faulk, 54, was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday for an extradition hearing.
She along with Harold David Toney are charged with murdering Hulon Hughes, 72, and his wife Elaine, 61, in their Apple Valley home on October 12, 1988. The couple was found shot to death.
Toney and Faulk were arrested for the murders in 1988 but never charged. The case was re-opened in April of this year.
Detectives said they learned that Toney confessed to the murders. He was arrested last week in Kentucky and was scheduled to have an extradition hearing on Monday.
Toney worked for Hughes as a mechanic and part-time roofer and was living in a travel trailer on Hughes' property. Investigators say he and Hughes had gotten into an argument the day before the murders.
They say Toney threatened to kill Hughes and had to be separated by other employees. Deputies say both Toney and Faulk were the only ones on the property at the time of the murders.
Detectives used a federal DNA grant to review cold cases and found evidence linking Toney and Faulk to the murders.
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
san bernardino county, murder, arrest, inland empire news
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery 58 min ago
- Griffith Park mountain lion exposed to poison
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide 24 min ago
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims 27 min ago
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal 34 min ago
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
9 min ago