Thousands gather at funeral for Sen. Oropeza
CYPRESS, Calif. (KABC) -- A public funeral was held Monday afternoon for state Sen. Jenny Oropeza in Cypress. She died Wednesday.
Thousands gathered at Church of Our Fathers at Forest Lawn for the Democrat.
Oropeza, who was elected in 2006 and chaired the Senate majority caucus, was successfully treated for liver cancer in 2004, but fell ill again earlier this year.
She died Wednesday night of complications from a blood clot she developed in her abdomen in May. The clot led to a common side effect: a buildup of fluid in her lungs that affected her breathing.
The illness forced her to miss most of this year's session, including the vital votes earlier this month as the state passed a budget after a record 100-day delay.
Oropeza's name will remain on the Nov. 2 ballot. According to the secretary of state's office, she will be declared the winner if she receives a majority of the vote, and a special election would be called to fill the vacancy.
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour