Thousands gather at funeral for Sen. Oropeza
CYPRESS, Calif. (KABC) -- A public funeral was held Monday afternoon for state Sen. Jenny Oropeza in Cypress. She died Wednesday.
Thousands gathered at Church of Our Fathers at Forest Lawn for the Democrat.
Oropeza, who was elected in 2006 and chaired the Senate majority caucus, was successfully treated for liver cancer in 2004, but fell ill again earlier this year.
She died Wednesday night of complications from a blood clot she developed in her abdomen in May. The clot led to a common side effect: a buildup of fluid in her lungs that affected her breathing.
The illness forced her to miss most of this year's session, including the vital votes earlier this month as the state passed a budget after a record 100-day delay.
Oropeza's name will remain on the Nov. 2 ballot. According to the secretary of state's office, she will be declared the winner if she receives a majority of the vote, and a special election would be called to fill the vacancy.
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 56 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary 29 min ago
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence 42 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker