Los Angeles News
Hawaiian Gardens gang leader gets 30 years
HAWAIIAN GARDENS, Calif. (KABC) -- The lead defendant and sometime-'shot caller' in a federal gang-sting case was sentenced Monday to 30 years in federal prison.
George Manuel Flores, aka "Boxer," 43, was sentenced to 30 years for coordinating racketeering activities and distributing narcotics for the Varrio Hawaiian Gardens street gang.
An L.A. gang task force combined forces with the FBI, the DEA, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and IRS agents to target the Varrio Hawaiian Gardens gang in a RICO sting.
Flores pleaded guilty in 2010 to five counts, including conspiracy to racketeer, distribute and possess crack cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin and marijuana, among other charges, and possession charges.
Flores is accused of selling drugs and running illegal drug "supermarkets" in Hawaiian Gardens houses.
Flores admitted he was responsible for the distribution of more than 30 kilograms of heroin, more than 4.5 kilograms of crack cocaine, more than 1.5 kilograms of pure methamphetamine, more than 15 kilograms of narcotics that contained methamphetamine, and more than 100 kilograms of marijuana.
The case is one of seven multi-defendant indictments issued by grand juries.
Varrio Hawaiian Gardens was targeted by the feds following the fatal shooting of L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy Jerry Ortiz, killed in 2005 by a member of the gang.
Approximately 170 gang members and associates were taken into custody as a result.
gang activity, sentencing, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 11 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks 15 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash 45 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 31 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role