Time capsule exposed by New Zealand quake
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (KABC) -- A new discovery emerged in New Zealand on Tuesday out of the rubble left behind by last week's deadly, 6.3-magnitude earthquake.
A time capsule was found hidden inside the base of a 19th century statue that toppled in the disaster.
Inside the statue was a sealed copper cylinder and a glass bottle with a handwritten note inside.
The note contained a message from the founders of Christchurch expressing their vision for what was then a new city.
All the items are being examined by experts.
earthquake, world news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 25 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen 16 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds