Time capsule exposed by New Zealand quake
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (KABC) -- A new discovery emerged in New Zealand on Tuesday out of the rubble left behind by last week's deadly, 6.3-magnitude earthquake.
A time capsule was found hidden inside the base of a 19th century statue that toppled in the disaster.
Inside the statue was a sealed copper cylinder and a glass bottle with a handwritten note inside.
The note contained a message from the founders of Christchurch expressing their vision for what was then a new city.
All the items are being examined by experts.
earthquake, world news
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 58 min ago
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks