Time capsule exposed by New Zealand quake
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (KABC) -- A new discovery emerged in New Zealand on Tuesday out of the rubble left behind by last week's deadly, 6.3-magnitude earthquake.
A time capsule was found hidden inside the base of a 19th century statue that toppled in the disaster.
Inside the statue was a sealed copper cylinder and a glass bottle with a handwritten note inside.
The note contained a message from the founders of Christchurch expressing their vision for what was then a new city.
All the items are being examined by experts.
earthquake, world news
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Winkler removed from Saugus school board
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies 2 min ago
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Chrysler agrees to Jeep recall over fire risk
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy