Orange County News
Clown arrested for 2002 Fullerton kidnap, rape
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- A man who works as a professional clown was arrested on Friday for the kidnap and rape of a 12-year-old girl in Fullerton in 2002.
Fullerton Police arrested Jose Guadalupe Jimenez, 41, in Newport Beach after DNA evidence matched him to the case. Dozens of costumes and masks were seized from his Anaheim home as evidence after his arrest.
Police say the victim was snatched by a man in a clown mask and wearing clown makeup on the corner of Lemon Street and Commonwealth Avenue just before midnight on Jan. 19, 2002. He drove her to a nearby school parking lot and raped her, then took her to a motel off Harbor Boulevard and molested her again. The girl escaped when he went to the motel's front office.
"She was abducted and raped by an unknown man that at the time was only described as wearing a clown outfit," said Fullerton Police Sgt. Andrew Goodrich.
Investigators collected the suspect's DNA and placed it in a database. There were no leads, until Jimenez was arrested last year in Anaheim. He pleaded not guilty to striking a child, a relative of his.
"His DNA was taken from that arrest, was put in the system, and then a few months later we got a hit, in February," said Goodrich.
Jimenez performed for years as a clown named "El Tin Larin," after a type of cookie, for at least nine years.
"If you have a person willing to grab a 12-year-old girl and sexually assault her, no telling how many potential victims we might have," said Goodrich.
Anyone with information about Jimenez is urged to call the Fullerton Police Department at (714) 738-5327.
arrest, sexual assault, sex crimes, orange county news, eileen frere
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2