Inland Empire News
Woman killed at Moreno Valley bank's drive-up ATM
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Investigators are asking for the public's help in tracking down a suspect who gunned down a young woman during an apparent robbery Sunday night outside a Moreno Valley bank.
Carrie Thomas, 23, was outside a drive-up ATM just before midnight behind the Visterra Credit Union at Cactus Avenue and Graham Street.
She had just gotten off work at Shakey's pizza, where she was a manager.
"She was very easy to talk to," said the victim's friend, Ashlee List. "She was older than me, so she was like a sister. If I had any questions about anything, she was always someone I could go talk to."
When the call came in, deputies responded to what they thought was a routine traffic collision but found Thomas inside her car.
Thomas was taken to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead from a gunshot wound.
"Robbery may be a motive and that's what we're looking at now, but it's not clear at this point," said Sgt. Joe Borja of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.
"Surveillance video can make the world of difference," he said. "Depending on what we actually receive, it could help us solve the crime."
A statement was released on behalf of Thomas' family.
"The world just lost a wonderful person, but we know that she is watching over us. We all loved her and she loved us with nothing less than her whole heart," the statement said.
Anyone with information is urged to call Moreno Valley police at (951) 486-6700.
A memorial fund was set up for Thomas.
Donations can be dropped off or mailed to:
Visterra Credit Union
PO Box 9500
Moreno Valley, CA 92552-9550
Attention: C. Thomas Memorial Fund
or send check by phone to (951) 656-4411
robbery, shooting, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area 40 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 8 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 32 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping 35 min ago
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini