Orange County News
Bankrupt Crystal Cathedral for sale to pay $35M debt
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Southern California landmark may be up for sale. And there's word of a buyer.
The Crystal Cathedral is hoping to climb out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It wants to sell its 40 acres of property to real estate investors.
The Garden Grove mega church is $35 million in debt and could repay vendors, who are owed $7.5 million, if a bankruptcy court approves the sale. The investors would develop some of the land but lease back the core campus to the church for at least 15 years, with the option of buying it back at a fixed price after four years.
Crystal Cathedral church services and the weekly "Hour of Power" TV broadcast will continue uninterrupted.
The investor's name or purchase price has not been released.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
finance, orange county news
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale 12 min ago
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Kristen Wiig talks about missing 'SNL'