Bokwa dance class next big thing in fitness?
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The next big thing in fitness just might be a dance exercise class called Bokwa. It even has people with no dance experience doing some pretty fancy footwork.
Good music, good moves, and good times- that's what many are saying about this class.
Foothill Gym owner Brian Whelan said Bokwa has a "nightclub feel."
"People absolutely adore it," said Whelan.
Bokwa, invented by fitness instructor Paul Mavi, is a dance fitness class that manages to combine cardio, endurance, strength and flexibility all in one.
Mavi used his South African roots to devise the dance fitness workout program that shows promise in improving the quality of life for kids, young and old alike.
"The magic of it all is something called click-click. Click-click is a two-step that you do that actually changes in the next step or move forward. It allows you to know where you're going. It's working well," said Mavi.
Bokwa is a hybrid class so it has a hybrid name Bo, which is short for boxing and kwa, which stands for the African culture dance Kwaito.
Mavi has been helping many move in Monrovia for two years with Bokwa at the Foothill Gym. Since the workout is accredited in the fitness industry, he also travels globally to teach the teachers and spread the joy.
Mavi said he has taught in London, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia as well as select locations in Southern California.
For those who feel as though they have two left feet, know this: Mavi's steps are designed using letters and numbers. He then calls out the letter or even a word to spell with your feet.
The end result is hundreds of different steps or words to dance so you can always keep your workouts exciting and fresh.
"I remember I was on the treadmill and I was watching the class and I was almost falling off the treadmill because I was following the class. So then I decided to join," said Monica Wong of San Gabriel.
Wong said she lost 15 pounds just by adding Bokwa to her work out.
"Just give it a chance. Try it out, and you never know what you're going to get," said Wong.
health, exercise, food coach, lori corbin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 45 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants