Los Angeles News
1 killed, 1 hurt in shooting outside Inglewood liquor store
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- Police said a young man was killed and his girlfriend was hospitalized after a robbery turned deadly outside an Inglewood liquor store. Authorities released images of a person of interest.
The shooting happened around 12:30 a.m. Friday near 110th Street and Crenshaw Boulevard.
Family members identified the male victim as 22-year-old Shawn Bryant. Police say the incident started behind the store when four people were robbed, including Bryant's aunt.
"They say, 'Give us everything.' We gave them everything," said Bryant's aunt. "Then five seconds later, we heard the shooting, and they shot my nephew and his girlfriend.
Witnesses say while the robbery was happening behind the store, Bryant was actually inside. He had stopped to get change and was headed to his car when he saw the robbers. Police say they exchanged words and Bryant was shot just steps from his car.
"You have no heart. Believe me, it takes a coward to pull a gun," said Cunnetta Simms, Bryant's mother.
Bryant's girlfriend was watching inside the car. Police say, when she screamed out in fear the gunman shot her as well. The girlfriend was rushed to the hospital and police say she is cooperating with investigators.
"She was doing an internship at Kaiser," said Simms. "They were an inspiration to each other."
Bryant died inside the liquor store. Simms says he was in college and focused on becoming a successful businessman.
"He had goals and dreams. He wanted a life. He said, 'Momma, I'm going to make you proud.' Now he's lying on the floor dead," said Simms.
Surveillance cameras were near the shooting. Authorities released images, and are calling the man a person of interest.
A witness who wants to remain anonymous said she saw the whole incident while inside a vehicle.
She said the shooter had dark skin and was about 5 feet 6 inches tall. She said he wore a gray sweater with writing on the front.
Anyone with information about the shooting is urged to call Inglewood Police at (888) 412-7463.
shooting, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 34 min ago
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 3 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 4 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy 52 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft 7 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video