ABC7 Traffic Center
Construction timeline for Mulholland bridge demolition during Carmageddon - 405 freeway closure
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Get a basic timeline for how construction crews will proceed with the partial Mulholland Drive bridge demolition during Carmageddon - the 405 freeway closure - the weekend of July 16-17, 2011.
Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Dave Sotero says the demolition of the south lanes of the Mulholland Drive bridge will be a highly-choreographed process. The contractor will take down portions of the bridge a little at a time.
7 p.m.: Caltrans will gradually close the on-and off-ramps of the 405 in both directions between the 10 and the 101 freeways.
10 p.m.: Crews will close lanes on the 405.
Midnight: The 10-mile stretch will be completely shut down. That's when workers begin trucking in tons of dirt to cover the freeway beneath the bridge with a 4-foot-deep cushion.
2 a.m.: Crews start slicing the Mulholland bridge in half lengthwise with a huge, diamond-bladed saw.
5 a.m.: The real demolition begins when crews bring in four hoe rams (which are giant, jackhammer vehicles).
2 a.m.: Demolition of bridge should be complete. Debris and dirt from freeway will be removed.
5 a.m.: The lanes of the 405 will re-open.
6 a.m.: All the surrounding on- and off-ramps will re-open.
Beat Carmageddon with ABC7
The 405 shuts down the weekend of July 16-17, and ABC7 Eyewitness News is your home for the latest traffic news and information. Follow @abc7 and @BeatCarmageddon on Twitter, and use the hash tag #abc7traffic.
ABC7 has also partnered with Waze to help navigate the traffic. Download the Waze app, which provides free turn-by-turn GPS navigation based on the live conditions of the road. Join the community of drivers in Southern California today and beat Carmageddon.
I-405 closure, carmageddon, construction, road closure, abc7 traffic center
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 59 min ago
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 14 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 29 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft 32 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video