Alleged Mexican drug lord arrested for 600 killings
TOLUCA, Mexico (KABC) -- An alleged Mexican drug lord who police say confessed to more than 600 murders was arrested during an overnight raid on a presumed safe house on the outskirts of Mexico City.
Oscar Osvaldo Garcia Montoya, 36, is allegedly the leader of "The Hand with Eyes" drug gang, known for extreme violence including decapitations. The gang is one of the groups blamed for bringing the drug violence typical of northern Mexico to Mexico City and its surrounding areas.
The bushy-haired Garcia gazed coolly when he was paraded before journalists Thursday, held firmly by two masked police officers.
Garcia is known as "El Compayito" after a popular Mexican talking hand-puppet character created by an entertainer who dresses up his hand and puts eyes on it. The crime gang apparently took its name from Garcia's puppet nickname.
"In the first declarations that have been gathered, El Compayito and-or 'The Hand with Eyes,' has acknowledged having participated personally in 300 murders and ordering another 300," said State of Mexico Attorney General Alfredo Castillo during a news conference.
Castillo said Garcia is a deserter from the Mexican marines who worked as a bodyguard for major cartel figures including Edgar Valdez, aka "La Barbie," a top assassin for the Beltran Leyva cartel until he was arrested in 2010.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
drug cartel, drug war, arrest, mexico, world news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 21 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 40 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour