Inland Empire News
Victorville house party shooting kills teen
VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- A birthday party turned deadly when someone opened fire early Sunday morning on the 15000 block of Kitfox Lane in Victorville. A teenager was killed and several others were wounded.
Police did not have a strong lead on suspects in the shooting. They had no one in custody Monday.
Vernell Mitchell says her daughter, LeShay Walker, had just celebrated her 16th birthday barely a week ago. Monday the family gathered to mourn her loss.
"Now we don't have her no more, we don't have nothing. Only thing we have to remember her by is in our heart," said Mitchell.
Walker was one of six people hit by gunfire at the Victorville house party early Sunday morning. She was the only one who died.
Mitchell says she'll never forget what her daughter told her as she left home for the party.
"I love you mommy and I'll see you later," said Mitchell.
About 75 people were reportedly at the party, including Walker's brother, D'Angelo Thomas.
Thomas says it was after 2 a.m. when an argument started in the garage and someone punched someone else in the face. That person turned out to be armed.
"I seen him pull out his gun, and then he just started shooting at the crowd," said Thomas.
Thomas realized his sister was one of the people wounded. Friends tried to drive her to the hospital.
Thomas says he held his sister in his arms.
"I never forget the last words she told me: 'I love you little brother, and make it home safe,'" said Thomas.
Less than half an hour later, Walker was pronounced dead.
"Hurts, it hurts dearly, I can't even wake up to my sister no more," said Thomas.
"Nobody had to do that to her, she deserved to be here right now, it wasn't that serious for her to just be having fun and it to end like this," said Dasha McCallon, Walker's cousin.
"I want justice because they shouldn't have did it, whoever did it they shouldn't have did it, period," said Mitchell.
If you have information related to the case, contact the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department at (760) 245-4211.
shooting, homicide investigation, murder, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing 13 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months