Los Angeles News
3 killed, 4 injured in boating accident in San Dimas
SAN DIMAS, Calif. (KABC) -- Three people were killed and four were injured in a boating accident at Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas on Saturday.
Authorities said the collision between a personal watercraft and a boat happened sometime around 4:30 p.m. in the launching area near 250 Puddingstone Drive.
Three women, all from the same family, died at the scene. Authorities said the women were riding a three-seat personal watercraft when they were hit by a 20-foot powerboat. Their ages and identities were not immediately available.
The four people injured were on the boat. Three suffered moderate injuries and were taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center for treatment. The fourt person, who had minor injuries, was also taken to the hospital. All of the injured were expected to survive.
Authorities said the crash apparently happened as both were entering a turn.
"The circumstances surrounding the incident are currently under investigation, but it appears both vessels were engaged in a turn, and as they were turning one vessel collided with the other," said Hugo Maldonado, the chief lake lifeguard. "We're taking this very seriously."
It's not yet known if speed was a factor. There was no indication that alcohol was involved.
Officials said it's been years since there was a fatality on the lake.
accident, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades 57 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny 18 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'