Los Angeles News
Free STD testing to honor Magic Johnson HIV anniversary
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Free STD testing is being offered to honor the 20th anniversary of the day Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive.
To mark the day, Johnson is planning an event at Staples Center to talk about his journey over the past 20 years.
He's also planning to talk about his foundation's work on HIV and AIDS prevention.
"A lot of people are walking around with HIV and don't know they have it," Johnson said last November when he received the inaugural World AIDS Day Magic Award from the AIDS Healthcare Foundation. "People really don't know that they have HIV until it's too late. If you properly get tested, you can live like me for a long time. Normally, what happens is you catch it late and then the medicine can't help you."
In honor of the day, free HIV and sexually transmitted disease testing is being offered at the Magic Johnson Recreation Area at 905 E. El Segundo Boulevard in Willowbrook between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Monday.
The first 100 people taking an HIV or STD test will receive free barbecue from Earlz' Grille and free Subway gift cards.
City News Service contributed to this story.
health care, los angeles news
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking 25 min ago
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries 20 min ago
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers 40 min ago
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured 8 min ago
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6' 42 min ago
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill