Los Angeles News
Free STD testing to honor Magic Johnson HIV anniversary
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Free STD testing is being offered to honor the 20th anniversary of the day Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive.
To mark the day, Johnson is planning an event at Staples Center to talk about his journey over the past 20 years.
He's also planning to talk about his foundation's work on HIV and AIDS prevention.
"A lot of people are walking around with HIV and don't know they have it," Johnson said last November when he received the inaugural World AIDS Day Magic Award from the AIDS Healthcare Foundation. "People really don't know that they have HIV until it's too late. If you properly get tested, you can live like me for a long time. Normally, what happens is you catch it late and then the medicine can't help you."
In honor of the day, free HIV and sexually transmitted disease testing is being offered at the Magic Johnson Recreation Area at 905 E. El Segundo Boulevard in Willowbrook between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Monday.
The first 100 people taking an HIV or STD test will receive free barbecue from Earlz' Grille and free Subway gift cards.
City News Service contributed to this story.
health care, los angeles news
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors