Los Angeles News
Free STD testing to honor Magic Johnson HIV anniversary
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Free STD testing is being offered to honor the 20th anniversary of the day Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive.
To mark the day, Johnson is planning an event at Staples Center to talk about his journey over the past 20 years.
He's also planning to talk about his foundation's work on HIV and AIDS prevention.
"A lot of people are walking around with HIV and don't know they have it," Johnson said last November when he received the inaugural World AIDS Day Magic Award from the AIDS Healthcare Foundation. "People really don't know that they have HIV until it's too late. If you properly get tested, you can live like me for a long time. Normally, what happens is you catch it late and then the medicine can't help you."
In honor of the day, free HIV and sexually transmitted disease testing is being offered at the Magic Johnson Recreation Area at 905 E. El Segundo Boulevard in Willowbrook between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Monday.
The first 100 people taking an HIV or STD test will receive free barbecue from Earlz' Grille and free Subway gift cards.
City News Service contributed to this story.
health care, los angeles news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law 59 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- TSA expands Pre-Check screening program in LA 1 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point 6 min ago
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients 32 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds