Los Angeles News
Free STD testing to honor Magic Johnson HIV anniversary
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Free STD testing is being offered to honor the 20th anniversary of the day Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive.
To mark the day, Johnson is planning an event at Staples Center to talk about his journey over the past 20 years.
He's also planning to talk about his foundation's work on HIV and AIDS prevention.
"A lot of people are walking around with HIV and don't know they have it," Johnson said last November when he received the inaugural World AIDS Day Magic Award from the AIDS Healthcare Foundation. "People really don't know that they have HIV until it's too late. If you properly get tested, you can live like me for a long time. Normally, what happens is you catch it late and then the medicine can't help you."
In honor of the day, free HIV and sexually transmitted disease testing is being offered at the Magic Johnson Recreation Area at 905 E. El Segundo Boulevard in Willowbrook between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Monday.
The first 100 people taking an HIV or STD test will receive free barbecue from Earlz' Grille and free Subway gift cards.
City News Service contributed to this story.
health care, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 35 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 54 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour