Orange County News
Thousands served at OC's largest free Thanksgiving dinner
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Volunteers served food at Orange County's largest free Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday.
It's the 25th year that La Casa Garcia Restaurant and the We Give Thanks Foundation have been providing a free meal to the needy.
An estimated 20,000 people were expected to show up at the Honda Center for the event, which runs from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
"[My children] don't have a place where we can celebrate. It's kind of sad to see them home and them knowing that everybody's together as a family and we don't have a family to share this day. So it's a good place to be here," said Erika Martinez of Buena Park.
The preparation started days ago. There's expected to be 700 turkeys, 100 pounds of gravy, 6,500 pounds of vegetables and 5,000 pies.
"Anybody is welcome. You come and eat with me, you're my family. I don't care where you come from," said Frank Garcia, owner of La Casa Garcia Restaurant.
Anaheim Ducks players were expected to be among the 2,000 volunteers serving up the traditional Thanksgiving meals.
charity, holiday, orange county news
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations 35 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing 19 min ago
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)