Inland Empire News
Mother, daughter plead not guilty in man's murder
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Lorraine Hunter and her daughter, Briuana, sat within a few feet of each other in a Riverside County courtroom in silence Monday. The two women were in court accused of plotting and carrying out the murder of Albert Thomas two years ago.
That man was Lorraine Hunter's husband.
"This was a crime, we are alleging, was committed for financial gain in which they were trying to obtain a life insurance policy on the victim," said John Hall, spokesman for the Riverside County District Attorney's Office.
The duo pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges.
Investigators alleged Hunter, 56, and her daughter, 18, lured the 58-year-old trucker out on a walk Nov. 3, 2009 and then shot him.
Police discovered Thomas' body in the sleeper cabin of his big rig, which was parked in a dirt lot across the street from a Moreno Valley elementary school.
At the time, investigators thought Thomas may have been robbed. The case eventually went cold until last month when detectives received a new tip that led to their arrest.
Hunter could face the death penalty if convicted, while the victim's stepdaughter, Briuana Lashane Hunter, could face life in prison without the possibility of parole.
"It is a special circumstances case which would make it eligible for the death penalty," Hall said. "The district attorney has not made that decision yet."
The two remain jailed on $1.5 million bail.
riverside county, court case, homicide investigation, murder, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors