Glide into fitness with workout on ice rink
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One of the best ways to get into the holiday spirit is to take a spin around an ice rink. There are a handful of pop-up places to ice skate, and the W Hotel Los Angeles in Westwood adds even more activities to the ice with an on-the-rink workout.
"We're just trying to bring the community surrounding the hotel to come out for these free fitness classes," said Michelle Ravelo of W Hotel Los Angeles.
It's the third year for the ice rink, but new to the smooth sliding surface is a 50-minute workout with trainer Kit Rich from FITist, a company that promotes workouts promoting muscle confusion. Muscle confusion keeps your body guessing, which in turn makes you work harder.
"You're going to be doing some plie squats, downward dogs, a lot yoga flow, ballet-inspired booty exercises, you name it," Rich said. "This really spices it up, you're constantly trying new things, your body tones up faster, you see results a lot faster."
The surface is smooth and white, but it's not actually chilly. Skates are required, and for the workout, socks are the footwear of choice.
After class when students exit, a special coating is rolled on so skaters can glide on a surface that is very similar to the rock hard cold stuff.
"It gives you the feeling like you're in a winter wonderland, it's really nice," Rich said.
The workouts are free at 9 a.m. on Saturdays, but if you want to skate, it's $10 for guests and locals alike from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekends.
What's really cool? Every night there's snow fall.
exercise, fitness, food coach, lori corbin
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 23 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
58 min ago