Los Angeles News
Woman beaten and robbed speaks out about attack
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Jane Santamaria was grabbed from behind by a thief, who beat her senselessly while trying to steal away her Boost Mobile cellphone.
It all happened behind a locked door as Santamaria returned home to her apartment complex at Westmoreland Avenue and 11th Street around 10:10 p.m. Sunday.
"That's where I walked in, and I felt him behind me, and I was like 'Woah!' and that's when it happened," said the 18-year-old.
That beating was all captured on surveillance camera.
"When he dropped me I didn't expect it, I was so caught off guard so much, I was just like, 'Woah,'" she described.
Barely 4 feet 11 inches tall, Santamaria fought back.
"I snapped into this mode where I was like boom, boom. I was trying to defend myself," said Santamaria.
The suspect beat her again. She tried to stop him from leaving, but he escaped with the cellphone in hand.
Eventually, neighbors heard Santamaria's screams, but it was too late.
She suffered some bruising to her face, but refused medical attention, police said.
Police released surveillance video of the incident and are asking for the public's help to identify the suspect. He is described as a Hispanic male, between 25 to 35 years of age, 5 feet 5 inches tall and about 180 to 200 pounds. He was last seen wearing jeans, a white T-shirt with black printing on the front and back and black shoes.
If you have any information regarding this case, you're urged to call (877) LAPD-24-7.
robbery, caught on tape, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 34 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere