Los Angeles News
Friends, neighbors, react to Hollywood murder
HOLLYWOOD HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Friends and neighbors are in shock over the death of Hervey Medellin, the man whose head, hands and feet were found near the Hollywood sign earlier this week.
"We would walk our dogs together sometimes. He was very nice, very friendly, always smiled. I feel very sorry," said neighbor Terry Brown.
Eyewitness News learned Friday that the Hollywood Hills victim lived near the park where his severed body parts were found.
The medical examiner's office was able to use fingerprints from the victim's severed hand to identify the 66 year old. Medellin was reportedly a former Mexicana Airlines employee.
Medellin lived on the 6200 block of De Longpre Avenue, less than three miles from where the body parts were found. Police searched the apartment building on Thursday.
"It's just eerie, it's creepy," said Chris Grant, who lives in the building.
Grant said he saw police towing at least one car from the building when the search was conducted. He also said he saw a man being taken away in handcuffs, but police say no arrests were made, and no one was detained for questioning yet. Police would only confirm that a search warrant served at the apartment building was related to the murder investigation.
Bronson Canyon Park reopened officially Friday morning. It had been closed since Tuesday, when a dog walker found a severed human head inside a plastic bag. Hands and feet were later discovered about 50 yards away the next day.
Investigators ended their search for more body parts on Thursday.
Francisco Barrosa says he knew the victim. Police believe the crime was recent due to the condition of the body parts.
"I would see him like every day 'cause he was my neighbor," he said. "I haven't seen him for awhile, now everything makes sense."
Some Hollywood residents said they're horrified that the crime could be connected to someone who lives in the area.
"I just think that it's really frightening that it's this close to my house," said resident Darien Clark. "I live right next door. We don't know what's going on yet."
Anyone with information related to the case should call the LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division at (213) 486-6890.
homicide investigation, body part found, los angeles news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians