Los Angeles News
Student dies after jump from school building
LA CRESCENTA, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities responded to a La Crescenta school on Friday due to what was a student's apparent suicide.
The L.A. County Fire Department responded to Crescenta Valley High School at 12:22 p.m. The student took arunning jump off of a three-story building, just as classmates were entering the main quad for lunch.
"We were all just walking out of class and we just heard a loud thump on the floor, like maybe something dropped," said student Laura Kodaverdian.
The victim, whose name has not been released, was a 15-year-old male. He was declared dead at the scene. Authorities said witnesses initially thought the victim was a girl because of the student's longer hair.
Authorities don't know what led to the tragedy, but they do know there was no talk of bullying.
Crescenta Valley High students were evacuated to the football field where they were signed out of school by their parents.
Crisis counselors were on campus to talk to the students, especially witnesses, as the campus community attempts to make sense of the death.
"I'm devastated, devastated, I just count my blessings that my children are happy and healthy, it's just horrible, beyond words," said parent Anne Capra.
The counselors will be at the school for the duration of next week. In the meantime, authorities are continuing their investigation.
school, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks