Save Money / Consumer News
Recycle old iPads, iPhones, other electronics for cash or charity
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Are you tripping over electronics you no longer use but can't seem to get rid of, like computers, printers, cellphones, and maybe even the iPad? You just might be able to turn that electronic trash into treasure.
Were you one of the lucky ones to get the new iPad last week, but now you're wondering what to do with your old one? Eyewitness News teamed up with Consumer Reports ShopSmart to help you cash in on your old electronics.
You shouldn't throw electronics out with the trash because of all the toxins they can contain. ShopSmart says you can turn your old gadgets into cash.
"The latest trend is stores and online retailers like Amazon.com offering cash or trade-ins for your old electronics," said ShopSmart Editor-in-Chief Lisa Lee Freeman.
Best Buy, for instance, will take back "gently used" laptops, iPods and mobile phones right at the store with a Best Buy receipt. At BestBuy.com, you'll be able to trade in a wider variety of products, even older items bought at other stores. As with many other retailers, you'll get a gift card in exchange.
"Hot products like iPhones and iPads will get you the best prices," said Freeman.
"To get the most for your electronics, try to hang on to accessories like manuals, cases and chargers," said Freeman. "The original boxes help, too."
And even if the retailer won't give you anything for your old stuff, usually you can still send it in and the company will recycle it responsibly.
consumer reports, technology, iPad, iPhone, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal 11 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- SEALS take oil tanker from Libyan rebels 22 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians