Mega Millions jackpot reaches $500M after no winner
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With no Mega Millions jackpot winner Tuesday, lotto officials bumped the prize amount to an all-time record of $500 million for the next drawing.
The half-billion jackpot was announced Wednesday morning. If sales go well, that number can go up again to $525 million or even $550 million.
The winning numbers of Tuesday night's drawing were 9, 19, 34, 44, 51 and the Mega number was 24.
Forty-seven tickets had 5 of the 6 winning numbers. Each of those tickets is worth at least $250,000.
Five of those lucky people were from Southern California. Those tickets were sold at a 7-Eleven in Corona, a Unocal 76 station in Fontana, an Arco AM/PM in San Bernardino, Stopper Liquor in Placentia and Surf Liquor in Santa Monica.
Lotto buffs streamed into Surf Liquor Wednesday, hoping some of the store's good luck would rub off on them.
Lottery officials had placed the odds of winning Mega Millions at about 1 in 176 million. The retailer who sells the winning ticket will receive a maximum $1-million bonus.
The next drawing will be held on Friday.
lottery, national news, subha ravindhran
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race 18 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies 8 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video