Aerial Fitness: Getting a Cirque du Soleil-style workout
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Watching an aerial fitness class is not unlike Cirque du Soleil. Flowing silks or tissues hang from the ceiling of workout rooms as participants are suspended in mid-air, using slow and controlled movements to strengthen the body.
Invision Fitness in Encino is just one gym offering aerial fitness classes such as aerial yoga, aerial tissue (or aerial silk) and aerial hoop. The latter is the most challenging, so many opt for using tissues or silks first.
Amy Gomez from Tarzana was afraid of heights when she started aerial hoops, but in only 90 days, she has become comfortable exercising while suspended in air.
"The more that you do it, the more you learn to trust yourself and your own body, and trust the instructors," Gomez explains.
Demi Day coaches aerial classes at Invision Fitness. "All those things that you dreamed of when you watched Cirque du Soleil that you thought you'd never be able to do, we like to make that a dream come true for people," said Day.
Day explains that aerial fitness begins with conditioning clients to climb the tissue, silk or hoops into mid-air. "Once they're comfortable standing just off the ground, we teach them how to get up one more step," says Day.
It takes a few classes to get to the top, and then it's on to mastering the foot lock.
"Once you get used to it, there's so many beautiful and exciting things you can do out of that single foot lock, that you're like, 'I want to do it again,'" Day says.
"It gives you a new groove," says Shena Fatemi, the owner of Invision Fitness. "It gives you a new beat, it gives you a new step versus, 'I'm going to go to the gym and I'm going to be there for an hour.'"
Invision offers the first aerial class free. After that, clients can drop-in to a class for $20 or buy a block of classes at a discounted rate.
For more information:
Aerial classes in other locations:
Believe Fitness Studio
113-117 Sierra St
El Segundo, CA 90245
5640 1/2 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028
5625 Lankershim Blvd
San Fernando Valley, CA 91601
Hollywood Aerial Arts
3838 W 102nd St
Inglewood, CA 90303
Allure Dance and Fitness Studio
5996 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90035
Xtreme Training Center
2131 Colorado Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90041
5176 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90029
800 W Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Crunch Fitness - aerial yoga
8000 w. Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA
exercise, fitness, health, food coach, lori corbin
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 13 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...