'Modern Family' star Sarah Hyland reveals kidney transplant
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One of the stars of "Modern Family" has her own family to thank for a life-saving surgery.
Actress Sarah Hyland, who plays Haley Dunphy on the ABC comedy, recently revealed she's been battling a kidney disease since she was a little girl.
At age 9, she was diagnosed with abnormal kidney development. Her condition left her in pain, exhausted, and in desperate need of a transplant. Without a donor, the 21-year-old faced a life on dialysis.
"I would be in a lot of pain a lot of the time. If I didn't get, like, 12 hours of sleep, it felt, like -- it felt, like, none at all," Hyland said.
She began the search for a donor, who ended up being closer than she thought. Her own father, actor Edward James Hyland, was a perfect match, and in April she underwent the transplant surgery.
Hyland will spend the summer recovering now that there's a break taping the show.
television, celebrity, abc, entertainment
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 20 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought 3 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Laughing can improve memory 46 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 50 min ago
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour