'Modern Family' star Sarah Hyland reveals kidney transplant
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One of the stars of "Modern Family" has her own family to thank for a life-saving surgery.
Actress Sarah Hyland, who plays Haley Dunphy on the ABC comedy, recently revealed she's been battling a kidney disease since she was a little girl.
At age 9, she was diagnosed with abnormal kidney development. Her condition left her in pain, exhausted, and in desperate need of a transplant. Without a donor, the 21-year-old faced a life on dialysis.
"I would be in a lot of pain a lot of the time. If I didn't get, like, 12 hours of sleep, it felt, like -- it felt, like, none at all," Hyland said.
She began the search for a donor, who ended up being closer than she thought. Her own father, actor Edward James Hyland, was a perfect match, and in April she underwent the transplant surgery.
Hyland will spend the summer recovering now that there's a break taping the show.
television, celebrity, abc, entertainment
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend 35 min ago
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle 6 min ago
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- Casey Kasem conservatorship deal reached
- 9-yr-old FL girl is youngest to bowl 300 game
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future