Save Money / Consumer News
Tips to pay less for TV, Internet, home phone
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- You might hate the bills, but many of us can't live without our TV, the Internet, or a home phone. According to a Consumer Reports survey, you could be paying less for these services.
If you're not bundling TV, Internet and home phone, getting all three as a discount package, you could be missing out on big savings. And the Consumer Reports National Research Center found there are other ways to cut your telecom bill. A survey of 69,000 readers reveals bargaining can really pay off.
"Seven out of 10 people we polled who bundle their services didn't bargain before signing up. But of those who did, more than 90 percent got some sort of deal," said Rosalind Tordesillas of Consumer Reports.
Of those who negotiated for telecom services, 40 percent got their bill reduced as much as $50 dollars a month. Others got fees waived for activation and installation. Or they were offered free premium services for a period. But remember, if you want to keep saving, you'll need to cancel these services before companies start charging you.
"Some companies are now tracking what discounts you've already gotten, so you may have to press harder. If asking for a lower rate doesn't work, let them know you're thinking of cutting some services or switching providers," Tordesillas said.
Providers may be more willing to deal once it's clear you're serious about dropping them.
"One of our staffers called and asked how to disconnect her service," Tordesillas said. "She actually got $30 knocked off her monthly bill and an upgrade as well."
consumer reports, save money / consumer news, ric romero
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student 44 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)