Castaic brush fire near full containment
CASTAIC, LOS ANGELES COUNTY (KABC) -- Crews in Castaic are still working Saturday to contain a brush fire, which police say was started by a motorcycle crash.
Los Angeles County fire officials told Eyewitness News that the blaze was sparked when a man crashed his motorcycle in the area. The condition of that motorcycle rider was not known.
As of 11 p.m., officials said the fire was nearly containment with 500 acres burned. All lanes of the 5 Freeway were open again. Firefighters say there are no flames, but they're still working to snuff out any hot spots.
The fire was reported at about 1 p.m. Friday. Six helicopters and three fixed-wing tankers battled the blaze, along with 450 firefighters on the ground.
The blaze shut down the 5 Freeway, snarling traffic for several miles. Drivers were forced to exit near Parker Road and find alternate routes. Lanes began opening at about 8 p.m.
Fire officials say this is the early start of fire season.
"We're expecting an active brush season, an early brush season, so people need to be award of that. And we are in a drought condition, as far as the fuel moistures are real low already. Fuel conditions are a about a month ahead of what they usually are. We're seeing stuff early June that we normally see in July," said Dave Thies with the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
No structures were threatened in the fire and no injuries were reported.
wildfire, fire, traffic delay, wildfire center, darsha philips
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies 49 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video