Los Angeles News
Long Beach police officers accused of excessive force
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man claims Long Beach police used excessive force on him by repeatedly shocking him with a stun gun as he tried to back away from officers responding to a possible theft at a clothing store.
Dionte Brown said he had arrived to the store on Long Beach Boulevard June 1 to help his wife, who was being accused of shoplifting a dress by the store owner.
The former Navy sailor said he identified himself to arriving officers and was simply asking what was going on when an officer called for backup. Brown said police ran in and went straight for him.
"The original officer that was there points to his colleague and says, 'Hey, he assaulted me,' no questions asked, they just ran in and grabbed me," Brown said. "That's when there was a big scuffle."
Brown, 26, said he resisted officers to avoid injury by a hard take-down.
"There was not fighting, scratching, biting, none of that. I just didn't want to take a face plant to the ground," Brown said.
Long Beach Police Department officials maintain that Brown assaulted one of the officers.
"I believe four officers were involved in the incident where they had to try to control him, he had refused to obey their orders and eventually an electronic-control device was used to take him into custody," said Sgt. Aaron Eaton of the LBPD.
Brown said he was hit with the stun gun about seven times.
Brown was charged with battery on a police officer and obstruction. He was released on $20,000 bail.
A friend of Brown captured the incident on video.
Long Beach officials said the case is being investigating internally.
Brown's wife was never arrested.
long beach, los angeles news, leanne suter
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting 47 min ago
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
56 min ago