Los Angeles News
Highland Park shootings, gang-related violence up in July, LAPD says
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The LAPD says July was a really bad month for Highland Park. There were numerous shootings, and many residents say they're afraid to leave their homes. Those who want something done attended a community meeting Thursday.
But just before that meeting, police swarmed a Highland Park neighborhood searching for two armed men. The suspects, described by authorities as known gang members, were taken into custody.
Concerned residents gathered at a nearby senior center for the meeting, which addressed the alarming rise in shootings.
"We want solutions. These people here are living in fear, the kids out there are not safe," said Highland Park resident Art Pulido.
LAPD Capt. Bill Murphy spoke at the meeting and informed residents about the increase in violence.
"We've had in Highland Park about nine shootings, and our breakdown in all of them is the Highland Park gang pretty much is responsible for probably 80, 90 percent of those shootings," said Murphy.
Police say one murder in July and many of the other shootings happened in the Monte Vista Street-area, where members of rival gangs have been terrorizing the community.
Lucy Rodriguez lives just down the street from the spot where the alleged gang members were arrested Thursday afternoon.
"July was really a bad month. I mean, you could see the helicopters all over the place, there were guns," she said.
During the community meeting, city officials and residents also discussed stepping up efforts to paint over graffiti. Police say they've increased patrols and are cracking down on violent crime.
arrest, gang activity, shooting, highland park, los angeles news, amy powell
- Fallbrook bus crash leaves 1 dead, 22 hurt 11 min ago
- Tour bus rolls over on 15 Freeway in Corona 57 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt 2 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note 59 min ago
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court 20 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer 37 min ago
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal 13 min ago
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis 54 min ago