Orange County News
Man found beaten to death in Costa Mesa home
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities are investigating after a man was found beaten to death in his Costa Mesa home.
Police said a friend found the body of Gary Allen Smola, 50, on Saturday afternoon inside his house on the 1700 block of Whittier Avenue.
Investigators said Smola had been hit several times in the head with an unknown object. There was no evidence of forcible entry and nothing appeared to be missing from the home.
According to neighbors, Smola ran his own auto and boat detailing business and was always ready to help them out.
"It's almost incomprehensible. You just want to push a button and say he's back, that it was all a dream, but it's not a dream. He's gone," said neighbor Carol Ann Burr.
Neighbors said Smola lived alone and had no known enemies. Anyone with information was asked to call the Costa Mesa Police Department at (714) 754-5205.
homicide investigation, orange county news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured 53 min ago
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway
- DUI driver hits sign, car and pedestrian
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 15 min ago
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office 37 min ago
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians