Orange County News
Man found beaten to death in Costa Mesa home
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities are investigating after a man was found beaten to death in his Costa Mesa home.
Police said a friend found the body of Gary Allen Smola, 50, on Saturday afternoon inside his house on the 1700 block of Whittier Avenue.
Investigators said Smola had been hit several times in the head with an unknown object. There was no evidence of forcible entry and nothing appeared to be missing from the home.
According to neighbors, Smola ran his own auto and boat detailing business and was always ready to help them out.
"It's almost incomprehensible. You just want to push a button and say he's back, that it was all a dream, but it's not a dream. He's gone," said neighbor Carol Ann Burr.
Neighbors said Smola lived alone and had no known enemies. Anyone with information was asked to call the Costa Mesa Police Department at (714) 754-5205.
homicide investigation, orange county news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 44 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled 40 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt 36 min ago
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Luxury-grade SUVs increasingly popular
4 min ago