Orange County News
Anaheim 'Operation Halo' nets 49 arrests, 40 guns, meth
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities say 49 violent criminals from Anaheim were arrested Friday for crimes ranging from drug trafficking to homicide.
More than 100 federal agents and police officers fanned out across Orange County as part of Operation Halo, a one-year investigation conducted jointly by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and Anaheim Police Department into alleged criminal activities of career criminals and members of a street gang known as Eastside Anaheim.
During the investigation, authorities seized 40 guns, including sawed-off shotguns, assault-style weapons and semi-automatic handguns. They also got a hold of about 11 pounds of methamphetamine, cash and one explosive device.
Anaheim Police Chief John Welter said Operation Halo began in June 2011 and was in no way a response to recent demonstrations against fatal police shootings in the city.
arrest, gang activity, orange county news, q mccray
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 38 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Amber Alert issued for Long Beach boy 1 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K 8 min ago
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years 13 min ago
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...