Orange County News
Anaheim 'Operation Halo' nets 49 arrests, 40 guns, meth
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities say 49 violent criminals from Anaheim were arrested Friday for crimes ranging from drug trafficking to homicide.
More than 100 federal agents and police officers fanned out across Orange County as part of Operation Halo, a one-year investigation conducted jointly by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and Anaheim Police Department into alleged criminal activities of career criminals and members of a street gang known as Eastside Anaheim.
During the investigation, authorities seized 40 guns, including sawed-off shotguns, assault-style weapons and semi-automatic handguns. They also got a hold of about 11 pounds of methamphetamine, cash and one explosive device.
Anaheim Police Chief John Welter said Operation Halo began in June 2011 and was in no way a response to recent demonstrations against fatal police shootings in the city.
arrest, gang activity, orange county news, q mccray
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping 6 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 56 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 30 min ago
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide 39 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet 12 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Covered California enrolls nearly 1.4M people
21 min ago