Los Angeles News
Los Angeles Olympics bid to be pushed by Councilman Tom LaBonge
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles City Councilman Tom LaBonge is set to call on a California committee to bid to host a future Olympics.
An aide to LaBonge said the councilman will introduce a motion during Friday's City Council meeting calling on the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games to "explore a future bid."
There is no word on which games he's set his sights on, but 2032 is being floated as a possibility.
That would be 100 years since the city hosted its first Olympic games.
The move could mean a big economic boost to the area. Los Angeles was home to the games in 1984 and 1932.
los angeles news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley 13 min ago
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- AZ sheriff's office profiles Latinos - judge
- Communications satellite launched into space
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert