ABC7 Traffic Center
60 East reopens in Diamond Bar after fatal accident
DIAMOND BAR, Calif. (KABC) -- Eastbound lanes of the 60 Freeway reopened eight hours after a fatal accident involving three vehicles in Diamond Bar on Friday.
The last semi truck was towed away just after 7 p.m.
California Highway Patrol officers say a big rig and a U-Haul truck got into a minor accident in the eastbound lanes near Diamond Bar Boulevard just after 11 a.m. Both vehicles pulled to the shoulder, and the drivers got out and stood between their vehicles to exchange information. Then, a third vehicle, an 18-wheeler, rammed into the parked big rig.
"That parked big rig lurched forward and crushed the people that were standing in between the two big rigs," said CHP Officer Kerri Rivas.
The driver of the U-Haul truck was declared dead at the scene. The driver of the parked big rig was taken to County-USC Medical Center with critical injuries. The driver of the third vehicle was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries. A passenger from the U-Haul truck was also struck by the big rig and was hospitalized in unknown condition.
One of the big rigs was loaded with bananas, which littered the road after the wreck. Cleanup crews were busy trying to scoop up the bananas.
Traffic was jammed for miles in both directions of the freeway due to the accident. Stuck drivers were seen getting out of their vehicles walking on the freeway to find out what happened. CHP was able to open the carpool lane just before 2 p.m. to let stuck drivers through, then closed it again.
road closure, accident, abc7 traffic center
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 34 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 51 min ago
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 10 min ago
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 17 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
44 min ago
- more: Get personalized traffic reports and alerts
- map: Traffic view of areas north and west of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of areas east of L.A.
- map: Traffic view of Orange County
- map: Traffic view of the Inland Empire
- map: Traffic view of Ventura County
- map: Traffic view of 101/405 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of 5/10 Interchange
- map: Traffic view of San Diego County