Los Angeles News
Man likely set San Dimas home on fire, killed self, detectives say
SAN DIMAS, Calif. (KABC) -- Homicide investigators say a man who was found dead inside a taxi cab parked outside a burning house in San Dimas early Monday likely ignited the blaze, then killed himself.
Firefighters were called to the fire in the 400 block of North Lone Hill Avenue around 5:15 a.m. They were able to knock down most of the flames in about 40 minutes, but the fire continued to burn due to a severed gas line.
"We did have a gas main break," said Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Tom Richards. "As we were pulling back, we found a gentleman in the cab. He was DOA from gunshot wounds."
Investigators said the man lived at the home. They determined that the man died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
No one was found inside the home. The man's dog was found unharmed in the backseat of the cab.
Investigators said they were trying to determine a motive.
Neighbors described the man as a 58-year-old cab driver who often dressed as a woman and went by the name "Candice."
Neighbors were jolted by the sound of the explosion and immediately took action, watering down their own properties and helping others evacuate.
"My mom got my sister's car down the street so that we'd be able to get out and she packed up all of our scrapbooks and got the animals ready just in case," said Katie Koach.
fire, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 24 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing 18 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 38 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
46 min ago