Los Angeles News
2 homeless people run over, killed in Skid Row crash
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two homeless people sleeping on a downtown Los Angeles sidewalk were killed when a car ran over them.
Authorities say the driver was a 19-year-old woman who had been drinking. According to police, Carmen Elena Chavez was driving her 1989 Mercedes-Benz shortly after midnight Sunday near Fourth and Crocker streets.
Chavez was traveling eastbound on Fourth Street when her car ran off the roadway, hit the curb and drove onto the sidewalk and struck two transients. Police said the woman and man who were struck were dragged 50 feet. They were pronounced dead at the scene.
Four people in the car initially ran from the scene. Chavez, another woman and a man later returned and were taken into custody.
Chavez was arrested and booked on two counts of vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence of alcohol. She was held on $100,000 bond.
los angeles news, leanne suter
- Malaysian official: Missing jet hijacked 13 min ago
- Westbound 134 Fwy closed due to police activity 50 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake 4 min ago
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
51 min ago