Los Angeles News
Dead pig left at Republican HQ in Manhattan Beach
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A dead pig clad in a Mitt Romney T-shirt was left at a Republican campaign office in Manhattan Beach.
Manhattan Beach Police had to discard the pig's head and its feet in a trash bin, but not before several passersby saw it.
"I thought it was a dead body because of the way he approached it," said Manhattan Beach resident Andy Gaeta. "And then when he lifted the shirt, he saw the head wrapped in barbed wire and it's cut in half, the whole skull was. It looked like something from a butcher's market."
The pig was laid out at the doorstep of the Republican headquarters on Highland Avenue.
Tom Scully saw the display about 6:30 a.m. while he was out walking his dog.
"When I got closer I was like, 'Oh, this is kind of gross. There was like barbed wire on its head. It's nasty," said Scully.
Manhattan Beach Police Animal Control later removed the trash bin containing the pig's remains, taking it as evidence. Police say they're investigating the incident as an "illegal dumping of an animal carcass."
According to a police sergeant, they have no evidence suggesting any other crime was committed at this point.
No notes were left behind. Nothing was addressed to anyone.
There will be a forensic examination of the remains.
To one Manhattan Beach resident, the disturbing display suggests political attacks during the election took their toll on the community.
"That is representative of something that kind of turns me off to this whole political system and this recent election and how divided it's kind of made us all," said Manhattan Beach resident Tucker Heaton.
No one was at the headquarters office all day Thursday.
If you have information about the incident, contact the Manhattan Beach Police Dept. at (310) 802-5123.
animal news, mitt romney, south bay, los angeles news, jovana lara
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 36 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43 41 min ago
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role