Los Angeles News
Dead pig left at Republican HQ in Manhattan Beach
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A dead pig clad in a Mitt Romney T-shirt was left at a Republican campaign office in Manhattan Beach.
Manhattan Beach Police had to discard the pig's head and its feet in a trash bin, but not before several passersby saw it.
"I thought it was a dead body because of the way he approached it," said Manhattan Beach resident Andy Gaeta. "And then when he lifted the shirt, he saw the head wrapped in barbed wire and it's cut in half, the whole skull was. It looked like something from a butcher's market."
The pig was laid out at the doorstep of the Republican headquarters on Highland Avenue.
Tom Scully saw the display about 6:30 a.m. while he was out walking his dog.
"When I got closer I was like, 'Oh, this is kind of gross. There was like barbed wire on its head. It's nasty," said Scully.
Manhattan Beach Police Animal Control later removed the trash bin containing the pig's remains, taking it as evidence. Police say they're investigating the incident as an "illegal dumping of an animal carcass."
According to a police sergeant, they have no evidence suggesting any other crime was committed at this point.
No notes were left behind. Nothing was addressed to anyone.
There will be a forensic examination of the remains.
To one Manhattan Beach resident, the disturbing display suggests political attacks during the election took their toll on the community.
"That is representative of something that kind of turns me off to this whole political system and this recent election and how divided it's kind of made us all," said Manhattan Beach resident Tucker Heaton.
No one was at the headquarters office all day Thursday.
If you have information about the incident, contact the Manhattan Beach Police Dept. at (310) 802-5123.
animal news, mitt romney, south bay, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 26 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 39 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry