Los Angeles News
Veterans honored at USS Iowa in San Pedro
SAN PEDRO, Calif. (KABC) -- Veterans and their families were honored with a special tribute in front of the USS Iowa battleship in San Pedro for Veterans Day weekend.
About 1,000 people showed up at Saturday's first-ever Veterans Appreciation Day Festival. The free event featured music, food and activities for veterans and their families.
Festival-goers said it was a chance to say thank you to the men and women who give so much to their country. Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said Veterans Appreciation Day will become an annual event in Southern California.
There was plenty of patriotic spirit also in Long Beach Saturday. Thousands of spectators lined Atlantic Avenue for the 16th annual Veterans Day Parade. The theme this year was "A Salute to those who Served." Following the parade, crowds also had the chance to enjoy Vets Fest 2012.
Meantime, Los Angeles Councilman Jose Huizar along with community groups paid tribute to the men and women who have served in the armed forces at a Veteran's Day event in Los Angeles.
Veterans took part in the ceremony at the Dr. Donald Newman Flag Pole at Huntington Drive and Eastern Avenue.
On Monday, government offices and schools will be closed for Veterans Day.
u.s. military, u.s. troops, holiday, los angeles news
- Report: Possible armed suspect in LA Times bldg 4 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat 28 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
53 min ago