Los Angeles News
LAUSD furlough days rescinded, thanks to Prop 30
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- LAUSD's Board of Education rescinded all furlough days for the 2012-13 school year, thanks to voter-approved Proposition 30.
The move came at the request of LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy. The board also restored the district's 180-day school year.
"Most everybody had taken huge cuts in pay on top of furloughs, so the ability to have a whole school year is a very big deal," Deasy said at the district's downtown headquarters.
United Teachers Los Angeles President Warren Fletcher says LAUSD students could have lost as many as 20 school days, creating the shortest school year in the country.
There are five additional student days that are being added as a result of the school board today and we're very happy to be working with the school board to make that a reality, and to make a full year possible for every kid," Fletcher said.
Revenue generated by Proposition 30 will now be deposited into the state's newly created education protection account. Of those funds, 89 percent will be devoted to K-12 schools, and the other 11 percent goes to community colleges.
Employees had been set to take 10 furlough days during the school year.
Outside the school board's meeting Tuesday, hundreds of protesters packed the street. At issue was a board motion to enact stricter oversight of charter schools in L.A. Opponents say it would also slow the process of approving new charter schools.
education, budget, lausd, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 28 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants
- 'Returnaholics' punished by some retailers
59 min ago
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
52 min ago