Los Angeles News
LAUSD furlough days rescinded, thanks to Prop 30
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- LAUSD's Board of Education rescinded all furlough days for the 2012-13 school year, thanks to voter-approved Proposition 30.
The move came at the request of LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy. The board also restored the district's 180-day school year.
"Most everybody had taken huge cuts in pay on top of furloughs, so the ability to have a whole school year is a very big deal," Deasy said at the district's downtown headquarters.
United Teachers Los Angeles President Warren Fletcher says LAUSD students could have lost as many as 20 school days, creating the shortest school year in the country.
There are five additional student days that are being added as a result of the school board today and we're very happy to be working with the school board to make that a reality, and to make a full year possible for every kid," Fletcher said.
Revenue generated by Proposition 30 will now be deposited into the state's newly created education protection account. Of those funds, 89 percent will be devoted to K-12 schools, and the other 11 percent goes to community colleges.
Employees had been set to take 10 furlough days during the school year.
Outside the school board's meeting Tuesday, hundreds of protesters packed the street. At issue was a board motion to enact stricter oversight of charter schools in L.A. Opponents say it would also slow the process of approving new charter schools.
education, budget, lausd, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, man shot
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting 5 min ago
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes
- ABC7 Eyewitness News Live Video
37 min ago