Los Angeles News
Jackson Limousine Turkey Giveaway helps hundreds in 30th year
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Hundreds of families in need lined up in South Los Angeles on Tuesday for Jackson Limousine's annual Turkey Giveaway.
Local families lined up with the elderly for the event, which kicked off at 8 a.m. and was expected to supply about 10,000 turkeys for the community.
But the 30-year Los Angeles tradition almost didn't make it to 2012 after donations were critically low last week. Despite that, Jackson Limousine managed to keep their event alive and stomachs full this year.
"We barely had anything," said EJ Jackson of Jackson Limousines. "But you know one thing I am learning, and I've been learning, is you walk by faith, not by sight, and God knows your heart. He knows that it's not for me, it's for the people."
Donations for the Turkey Giveaway continued to be accepted throughout the day, and Jackson Limousine planned to give away turkeys until there's nothing left to give.
Cheryl Johnson was the first person in line at 8 a.m. Monday, meaning by the time the turkey dinners were dispersed, she waited a full 24 hours to secure a holiday meal for her family.
"It's been really tiresome, but it's worth the wait," she said.
She has participated in the Turkey Giveaway for the last four years, including as a volunteer. She says the event is very meaningful to the community.
"It means a lot when you don't have a Thanksgiving dinner and you have someone else to provide it for you, all you have to do is stand here and wait for it. It means a lot, because you're not able to get it yourself. You don't have the funds," she said.
thanksgiving, charity, south los angeles, holiday, los angeles news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster 54 min ago
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour