1 dead after boat capsizes off Florida coast
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (KABC) -- One person is dead after a boat capsized off the coast of Florida on Thanksgiving Day.
The divers and crew were heading back to the dock near Pompano Beach when a giant wave toppled the 45-foot long catamaran. Nina Poppelsdorf, a 54-year-old passenger, was killed.
Twenty-three other passengers were thrown into the water and rescued by the Coast Guard and nearby lifeguards and boaters. ABC News says three people were taken to the hospital with non-lifethreatening injuries and later released.
Investigators say the boat did not appear to be overcapacitated and the cause of the accident remained under investigation, according to ABC News.
So far, the dive company is not commenting.
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state 50 min ago
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians