Los Angeles News
DUI Torrance suspect was drug, alcohol counselor - Eyewitness News confirms
TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- Eyewitness News confirmed Monday that a suspected DUI driver who hit a man in Torrance was a drug and alcohol counselor.
Sherri Lyn Wilkins, 51, is being held on charges of manslaughter and drunken driving. Eyewitness News confirmed that Wilkins worked as a drug and alcohol rehab counselor at Twin Town Treatment Center in Torrance.
"No one, including counselors, are immune from the possibility of relapse," said Twin Town's CEO David Lisonbee, who did not want to go on camera. He says Wilkins was working there until Friday.
"We are comfortable that she was in a program of recovery for a period of time prior to this incident," he said.
The candles are crowded onto the railroad crossing where 31-year-old Philip Moreno was struck and killed by the alleged drunk driver, who drove for 2 miles with Moreno stuck in her windshield.
Moreno had left a bar called the Branch Office at about 11:30 p.m. on Saturday. He was trying to cross Torrance Boulevard when he hit in the intersection and the driver kept driving for two miles before witnesses stopped her after seeing Moreno pinned to the hood of her car.
"Her statement to us is that she was panicked," said Torrance police Sgt. Robert Watt. "She had panicked behind the wheel after striking the gentleman and did not know what to do."
Moreno's friends say he was a huge sports fan who was just trying to walk home when he was hit and killed.
"He was doing the right thing and he was walking and he had his life taken from him," said friend Jennifer Grebb.
Wilkins is due back in court later this week.
car crash, dui, arrest, los angeles news, robert holguin
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Southern California heat expected to die down
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians
- Entire Newport Beach Little League suspended
30 min ago