Orange County News
Seal Beach gas station shooting: Officer fatally shoots suspect
SEAL BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect was fatally shot by an officer in Seal Beach on Saturday after reportedly violating a restraining order.
It all began around 4:30 p.m. when police responded to a call from a woman in Garden Grove saying the suspect had violated a restraining order for domestic violence. Officers spotted the suspect and the chase was on.
When he reached Seal Beach he bailed out of his car and took off for a gas station at Seal Beach and Westminster boulevards.
"The suspect got out on foot and tried to carjack one of the people pumping gas at the gas station," said Garden grove Police Department Lt. Jeff Nightengale.
The suspect and male victim struggled. A Garden Grove officer intervened and opened fire. The suspect was transported to Long Beach Memorial Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Police say a weapon was recovered at the scene. Authorities are now checking the gas station's surveillance video, as the deadly incident was likely caught on camera.
Garden Grove as well as Seal Beach police and the Orange County District Attorney's Office are investigating the shooting.
officer-involved shooting, orange county news, leanne suter
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 10 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 30 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
40 min ago