Anne Hathaway 'Les Miserables' role is high point for actress
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Actress Anne Hathaway is living the dream right now. She co-starred in one of this year's biggest blockbusters, "The Dark Knight Rises," and now she's on the Oscar shortlist for her role in "Les Miserables."
Hathaway said she was on pins and needles after auditioning for director Tom Hooper for the role of Fantine in the ensemble cast of the latest big screen version of "Les Miserables."
She sang for him, and then had to wait months before hearing she won the role.
"I was very lucky that I was working on 'The Dark Knight Rises' at the time, because I was so completely on every level in awe of the job that I had and satisfied by what I was doing and living in a place of gratitude, so I just tried to put it out of my mind," she said.
Hathaway was more than familiar with the role. Her mother, actress Kate McCauley Hathaway, had played it years before.
"I think those emotions resonate with me on a human level as deeply as they do because I saw my mom go through it. I felt the power of her performance. And it stayed with me," she said. "So I think that did color my perception on what the piece is about."
Hathaway literally transformed herself to play Fantine. Along with losing 25 pounds, she also chopped off all her hair.
"The hair scared me more, because I just think being a woman, you're used to dieting, this was obviously an extreme version of that, but cutting your hair off, it's so definite," she said. "And I just thought, if I could give the audience some reality, I just thought it would hurt that much more and that was what my part is supposed to do."
"Les Miserables" opens nationwide on Christmas Day. Meantime, Hathaway's other big movie this year, "The Dark Knight Rises," will available on DVD Tuesday.
celebrity, movie news, hollywood wrap, george pennacchio
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 40 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled 36 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt 32 min ago
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour