Los Angeles News
Lancaster pursuit-crash kills 2-year-old girl, seriously injures mother
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- A 2-year-old girl was killed and her mom seriously injured when their car was hit by a pursuit suspect in Lancaster.
Investigators say the suspect, identified as 45-year-old Marvin Travon Hicks of Palmdale, was on the wrong side of the street when the crash happened near 10th Street West and Avenue I shortly before 5 p.m. Thursday.
Sheriff's investigators say the chase began when Hicks failed to pull over after running a red light on Sierra Highway. Authorities say deputies chased Hicks' black Toyota, which ran multiple red lights, at times even heading the wrong way, and going at speeds of up to 100 mph.
Hicks was driving west on Avenue I when he struck the victims' Lexus as it headed north on 10th Street West. Both cars were totaled.
The girl, Madison, and her mother Tina Brentlinger Ruano, and Hicks were all transported to Antelope Valley Hospital, where Madison later died. Ruano remained hospitalized as of midday Friday but was expected to make a full recovery.
Ruano's friend said she's heartbroken over the news.
"They moved in when she was pregnant with Madison and our babies were both due in December. Madison came early. She's a little miracle baby. They fought to get her here, that's for sure. Some things don't make any sense at all," said the friend.
Hicks was released from the hospital and sent to jail to be held on $1 million bond. He faces felony charges of fleeing police and vehicular manslaughter. According to police records, Hicks was arrested for reckless driving and driving under the influence in 1995. He was also charged with hit-and-run in 2005.
Officials said it was not immediately clear if drugs or alcohol were involved in the collision. Local residents placed flowers, balloons and stuffed animals at the scene of the crash in a makeshift memorial.
pursuit, antelope valley, car chase, car crash, los angeles news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 9 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 53 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 14 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break