Inland Empire News
Cal State San Bernardino student shot, killed by campus police
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A California State University, San Bernardino, student was shot and killed by university police at an off-campus housing facility Saturday.
Officials said Cal State San Bernardino police officers responded to a disturbance around 6:30 p.m. at a dorm at Northpark Boulevard and University Parkway, across the street from campus.
"When they made contact with the subject, a black male about 38 years of age in the hallway of his dorm, an altercation occurred," said San Bernardino city police Lt. Paul Williams. "The altercation became physical and the subject became violent. Sometime during that, the officers feared for their safety. They discharged their weapon, striking the subject."
The student, whose identity was not disclosed, was pronounced dead at the scene.
One officer sustained non-life-threatening injuries. That officer was transported to a local hospital.
A campus-wide alert was issued at some point.
It was unclear if a weapon was found.
Classes were over for the quarter at the school and few students were around due to the winter break.
The city of San Bernardino's police department was assisting in investigating the shooting.
school, school shooting, officer-involved shooting, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 35 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast 38 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
51 min ago