6.3-mag. ocean earthquake hits off Southern California coast
AVALON, Calif. (KABC) -- Some Southern California residents reported feeling some shaking after a 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck in the Pacific Ocean early Friday morning.
The quake hit around 2:36 a.m. PT, 88 miles SW of Avalon, Calif., on Santa Catalina Island. It was initially reported that there were two quakes, 6.4 and 6.1, within seconds of each other, but seismologists concluded it was only one temblor.
Experts said an earthquake of that magnitude in that part of the Pacific Ocean, the Cortes Bank, is unusual. They said people will feel the quake differently, depending on where they are.
"It would have been a little bit of a rolling motion for most people to feel. With every earthquake we have shaking and rolling, depending on where you are in relation to the earthquake," said Anthony Guarino, a seismic analyst at Caltech. "With this earthquake, we probably wouldn't expect to have anyone feel any significant shaking, more of a rolling motion."
Eyewitness News viewers across the Southland said they felt some sort of movement, including in Newport Beach, Santa Ana, Temecula and Long Beach.
No tsunami warning was issued, and no reports of damage or injuries were reported on the mainland.
earthquake, earthquake center, john gregory
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
54 min ago
- Study: Small hits in sports affect kids'...
39 min ago