NFL coaches fired after regular season ends
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (KABC) -- Less than 24 hours after the regular season ended, NFL firings began. Several coaches were let go Monday morning.
In a span of about 90 minutes Monday morning, four NFL coaches -- Philadelphia Eagles' Andy Reid, Cleveland Browns' Pat Shurmur, Kansas City Chiefs' Romeo Crennel and the Buffalo Bills' Chan Gailey -- were fired by their teams after losing seasons.
A short time later, the Chicago Bears announced it was letting go of coach Lovie Smith after the team missed the playoffs for the fifth time in six seasons. None of the moves were surprising, and more were expected.
Along with Shurmur, the Browns also dismissed GM Tom Heckert. Reid, who was with the Eagles for 14 seasons, was the longest tenured of the group.
Crennel was coach of the Chiefs for only one full season. Kansas City matched the fewest wins in franchise history, closing out the season 2-14. The team did not make a decision on embattled general manager Scott Pioli.
The New York Jets decided to keep their coach, Rex Ryan, but fired general manager Mike Tannenbaum.
The Arizona Cardinals have fired coach Ken Whisenhunt after six seasons that included the long-suffering franchise's only Super Bowl appearance.
The team also ousted general manager Rod Graves, who had been with the franchise for 16 years. He'd been general manager since 2007.
The housecleaning by Cardinals President Michael Bidwill, son of team owner Bill Bidwill, followed a season that saw the team start 4-0 but lose 11 of its last 12 to finish 5-11.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
nfl, seattle seahawks, green bay packers, nfl
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate 24 min ago
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand 40 min ago
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park 3 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out 20 min ago
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report