Oatmeal additions to spruce up your bowl
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Many health-conscious Americans wake up and head to the kitchen to rip open a packet of oatmeal for breakfast. But let's face it, that can get boring fast. We've got some sassy additions that might just help you look forward to your next bowl.
If you are already using berries and almonds, why not get creative with your fruit and nut choices. Pomegranate arils and pistachios are a nice combo when combined with slightly sweet and nutty almond milk.
Instead of nuts, think nut butter. Any nut butter with a crisp sweet fruit, like pear, is a winner with a splash of your favorite milk.
Banana and walnut are always good in baked bread, so why not your hot steamy oats? Boost the flavor further with a splash of vanilla extract.
An overnight oatmeal is a solid standby for when you want a sweet, creamy, satisfying fix. Take two parts oatmeal, one part low-fat yogurt, one part juice and stir. Put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, you've got three servings of a thick, cool, creamy and tangy oat treat that you can eat as is or warmed up.
Finally, Health Magazine features one you may not have thought of: savory oatmeal, complete with a crumbled piece of turkey bacon, low-fat cheddar cheese and scallions. This is nice for those breakfast eaters who want something a bit heartier in the morning.
No matter which one you choose, if you stick to the manufacturer's suggested serving size, just a tablespoon of nut, nut butter or cheese, and a half a piece of fruit, you'll be under 200 calories a bowl. But you'll be getting plenty of protein, fiber, heart-healthy fat and those fun-loving carbohydrates.
food, food coach, lori corbin
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 8 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 39 min ago
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who pranked NFL coaches arrested by LAPD 27 min ago
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy 13 min ago
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke