Los Angeles News
Alhambra hit-run suspect wounded after officers open fire
ALHAMBRA, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect was wounded after officers opened fire following an apparent hit-and-run in Alhambra on Saturday.
The incident happened on Main and Second streets around 2 a.m. Police say a man struck a pedestrian at the intersection of Main and First streets and left the scene of the accident.
Officers on foot patrol attempted to stop the car at Main and Second streets after noticing the car was driving on the wrong side of the road. The two men inside the car failed to stop, and an officer was hit. That's when the other officers opened fire.
Four officers reportedly shot at the vehicle, and it traveled four blocks near Monterey Street before coming to a stop. The vehicle was riddled with bullet holes and the windshield was shattered.
The officer who was struck was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The driver was shot in the upper torso and is expected to make a full recovery. The second suspect in the vehicle, identified as the passenger, was not hurt. According to detectives, the suspect had been involved in a fight earlier that evening and was transported to the hospital for a head injury he sustained during the fight.
The pedestrian who was initally struck declined medical attention and was said to be OK.
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department detectives are assisting Alhambra police in the ongoing investigation.
City News Service contributed to this report.
officer-involved shooting, shooting, hit and run, los angeles news, q mccray
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 33 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour